• Home
  • Home Insurance
  • Personal Insurance
  • Home insurance advice
February 24, 2014

Home insurance advice

Your home is probably your biggest asset, but how can you be sure that your insurance cover will protect you if the worst happens and you need to make a claim?

No two home insurance policies are the same, and it’s important to get professional advice from your broker who will be able to guide you through the process of choosing a policy that matches your particular needs.

You’ll need two different and complementary policies to protect your home:

Buildings insurance which covers the structure of the home itself, as well as the fixtures and fittings, and contents insurance which covers the contents you would take if you moved.


You don’t have to insure your contents and home with the same company. It’s always worth shopping around to get the best deal, as the insurance market is very competitive. However, using the same company may speed up any claims you make if you suffer damage to both your home and its contents. You might also get a small reduction in your premium.

As well as covering against risks like fire, theft and flood, both kinds of policy should include a liability section. This provides for claims which you may become legally liable to pay in respect of damage to a person or property that is not a member of your household that you incur as the owner of your home.