Unoccupied Property Insurance

Unoccupied Property Insurance can be more expensive

Properties which become empty or vacant for more than 30 consecutive days typically require unoccupied property insurance.

Unoccupied property insurance can be more expensive than standard building insurance. This is because vacant properties can be subject to risks such as squatters, vandalism or fires.

If your property becomes unoccupied or is likely to become unoccupied, the incorrect type of insurance may invalidate your policy and any claims that need to be made against it. Specialist insurance can give you peace of mind and suitable cover that might not be available with a standard policy.

As well as supporting you to get the right cover in place, we can also help with Risk Management strategies such as:

  • General security, including inspecting the property regularly
  • Ensure repairs are done swiftly, so that damage doesn’t get worse
  • Remove all valuables
  • Seal letter boxes to reduce vandalism
  • Secure your property with high security window and door locks
  • Set the burglar alarm (if there is one)
  • Turn the heating on or keep it on a frost alert setting during winter
  • Switch off utilities
  • Install CCTV cameras

Get in touch with Barry


If you are wanting to make sure that you have the correct cover in place, given we are a probably one of the most approachable, and specialist insurance brokers, we believe a review of your current insurances will give you an insight into some of the most recent innovations in effectively protecting your property. Call us onĀ 0161 480 6444

Contact us today

Great service and flexibility

We used a national broker previously, but through working with Thompson Brothers we find their flexibility and level of personal service helps us to know exactly what cover we have in place. Joanne Carrington - The Carrington Partnership